About the Position
Knucklepuck is looking to hire a Business Operations Manager to work full-time in our Arlington, VA office outside Washington, D.C. We are a startup marketing agency in the process of scaling our operations supporting clients with digital marketing consulting services, primarily SEO, Paid Media, and Content Marketing. We are looking for someone to run the business side of the agency, helping us to scale effectively as we pursue aggressive growth goals for the company.
This position is an executive-level position that works hand-in-hand with the CEO to execute the growth plan for the business. Knucklepuck is looking to double in size within the next 12 months, to significantly expand our existing service lines, and to develop new departments. To accomplish this, we need a motivated self-starter that craves autonomy and possesses the ability to proactively identify ways to create value for the organization, whether it be financial, efficiency, organizational, or otherwise.
This role will be responsible for the financial health of the company, including budgeting and forecasting, capacity planning, resource utilization, and goal-setting. This person must have a process engineering mindset, exercising creative problem-solving to identify and execute strategies to improve the efficiency of the company. It is essential that this person actively seek out ways to leverage technology, processes, and personnel together to grow the business.
The ideal candidate understands that the core of any consulting business is its people. The Business Operations Manager must demonstrate strong leadership skills and an ability to activate others to drive Knucklepuck’s growth. This person must communicate effectively to drive collaboration throughout the organization, cultivating relationships internally as well as with our clients, vendors, and partners.
In short, we are seeking a Business Operations Manager who is passionate about growth and who shares our ambitious vision for building an integrated digital marketing agency, delivering extraordinary work in an industry that is only going to continue to explode in demand as businesses shift more and more budget toward digital marketing.
To succeed in this position, you must have:
- Demonstrated professional experience in business or administration, including financial management and budget analysis.
- A process engineering mindset with an ability to recognize inefficiencies in business operations and to execute a plan to improve them.
- Creative problem-solving and strategic thinking skills.
- Direct management experience and demonstrated ability to coordinate cross-functional departments.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, in particular strong interpersonal, influencing, and conflict-resolution skills.
- Excellent negotiation skills and the ability to drive programs to desired outcomes.
- A track record of leadership roles and experiences demonstrating an action-oriented personality and the ability to motivate and inspire a team to execute a shared vision for the company’s success.
- Quick-learning tendencies, a thirst for knowledge, and a desire to contribute immediately to a rapidly growing startup agency.
- Impeccable attention to detail, excellent organizational skills, and the ability to independently manage tasks to meet deadlines in a fast-paced, results-oriented culture.
- Relationship-building skills and the ability to get the most of individuals and the team.
- Expert knowledge of Excel and other data analysis and business intelligence tools, as well as other MS Office and Google products.
- A proven ability to combine and analyze data from multiple sources to interpret business performance and drive strategy.
- Strategic vision that complements that of the CEO and board leadership.
- A tireless work ethic and passion for growing business.
In this role, you will be expected to:
- Manage the financial operations of the company, including developing and enforcing budget, short and long-term financial planning, implementing cost controls, managing all billing, invoicing, and collections, vendor management, maintaining compliance, and generally ensuring the financial health of the company. The Business Operations Manager needs to have a firm understanding of the health of the business and will be responsible for our financial analysis and reporting (P&L, Balance Sheet, etc.)
- Develop systems for optimizing internal processes and logistics to support effective collaboration among cross-functional teams to deliver clear and measurable value to our clients.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the office, including administrative, HR, and IT responsibilities.
- Evaluate resource allocation and track retainer hours and resources used/planned against project goals to forecast capacity for hiring and business development.
- Analyze the performance of departments as well as individuals to improve profitability, reduce churn, and improve agency sustainability.
- Develop a team incentive structure for new business development, adherence to budget, and/or overall company success.
- Clearly define the lead intake and sales process, including how leads from various sources are tracked, and leverage Salesforce to properly input and track new business development and upsells.
- Audit existing technology stack and ensure that all departments have the tools they need to be successful (hardware, software, SaaS). Identify opportunities and implement strategies to leverage software and other new technology to facilitate business processes.
- Produce internal reporting (daily and weekly) to inform CEO decision-making related to key performance indicators for the company.
- Cultivate relationships and actively solicit feedback from both our clients and staff to identify areas for improvement in our processes or deliverables.
- Develop a system to regularly check-in on clients to gather feedback and implement necessary steps to promote client satisfaction, boost retention, and pursue upsell opportunities.
- Review existing contracts with vendors and clients and establishing clear processes for handling new projects and contract renewals.
- Coordinate performance review process to ensure accountability, clear communication, and alignment of expectations for all Knucklepuck staff.
- Solidify a culture that reflects our core values of Accountability, Integrity, and Empathy and maintain that culture through scale.
- 6-8 years relevant business experience.
- 3-5 years direct management experience.
- Strong background in business management, with demonstrated experience in financial planning, budgeting and forecasting.
- Strong working understanding of Quickbooks.
- Degree from 4-year accredited college or university.
It would be great if you have:
- Owned your own business.
- Marketing agency experience.
- Professional consulting experience.
- An understanding of SEO, Paid Media, and other digital marketing best practices
- An MBA or equivalent graduate degree
Traditional benefits: Macbook; 15 days PTO; 401k w/ 4% match; contributions toward a competitive medical plan.
Non-traditional benefits: Flexible work hours; casual dress code; Work From Home opportunities; snacks; beer fridge; Clifton StrengthsFinder; monthly company social events; beanbag chairs; the occasional Nerf gun battle; birthday celebrations; Lunch & Learn lectures; startup business mentality.
Bonus Incentives: Performance-based bonuses that are tied to the profitability and the financial health of the business. The more you can produce for the company, the more you can earn for yourself.
Relocation expenses may be considered.
How do you apply?
Please complete the application on this page and upload your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements. Your cover letter should include explicit examples of how your skills are a match for Knucklepuck and specifically the Business Operations Manager position. This is a critical leadership position that will be given tremendous autonomy to operate and receive access to nearly every aspect of the company, so we’re looking to understand how you will carry Knucklepuck into our next stage of growth.
In the first line of your cover letter, please let us know what you think the origin of the name “Knucklepuck” is.